Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Local Rosemary Apple Cobbler

I absolutely adore the combination of apples and rosemary. Ever since I made the Apple Rosemary Scones from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch, I've been hooked on the marriage of these two flavors! So when I spotted a big bunch of beautiful fresh rosemary at the farmers' market on Saturday, that's the first place my mind (and stomach) went. I also had a bunch of locally-grown apples that were needing to be used...perfect timing!

This recipe is gluten-free and refined sugar-free, but you could use regular all-purpose flour if that's what you had around, just use 2 cups flour total and omit the xantham gum.

Rosemary Apple Cobbler (serves about 12)
gluten-free, refined sugar-free

for the apple filling
6 cups apples, thinly-sliced
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 Tbs maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs arrowroot
Juice of 1 lemon

for the crust
1 cup gluten free oat flour
1/3 c brown rice flour
1/3 c millet or sorghum flour
1/3 c buckwheat flour
2 Tbs tapioca starch
1 tsp xantham gum
2 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 Tbs vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance
2 Tbs non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
3 Tbs agave nectar
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/3 cup cold water, or as needed

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
In a large bowl, stir together the ingredients for the filling, except the apples. Add in the apples and toss to coat well. Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread out to create an even layer.
Combine the dry ingredients for the crust in the bowl and mix well. Stir in the rosemary. Cut in the cold margarine and shortening using a strong fork or pastry cutter, to create a crumbly dough. Drizzle in the agave and water, adding more water as needed, to form a stiff and slightly sticky dough. Spread dough over the top of the apples in patches, so it covers most of the top but leaves some open spaces. Bake for 30 minutes, until the apples have cooked down and softened, and the crust is firm but not too hard. Let cool 5-10 minutes and serve warm. Goes especially well with some vanilla non-dairy ice cream!

3 comments:

foodfeud said...

I agree - apples and rosemary is an awesome flavor combination. I've yet to try that scone variation, but I guess I should!

Bianca said...

Gasp! I've never had rosemary and apples together. I should remedy this, stat.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that it looks disgusting for me... but i will try this weekend , thanks for the recipe, maybe a friend of xl pharmacy will like this a lot.