Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Food, Of Course!

First off, Happy Belated Valentine's Day to everyone! I had a great day with Steven, and we celebrated by taking a walk together, getting a couple's massage together, cooking dinner together, then watching a movie together...it was perfect! I can't imagine a better way to celebrate a holiday than making a meal with people you love. We had a Jamaican-inspired meal...I guess you could say the theme was "One Love," but only if you're super cheezy.
Here's what we had!
Appetizer: Fried Plantains with Agave Nectar
Main Course: Jamaican Jerk Tempeh, Mango-Coconut Sticky Rice, Garlic Sauteed GreensDessert: Peanut-Yam Empanadas


In addition to being happy about the great Valentine's Day events, I am also excited to be living in Columbia again! Kansas City was nice, but it is good to be with my friends and Steven. To celebrate my first night back, we went to dinner at my old ball and chain, Main Squeeze! I miss working there a whole lot, but it is also kinda nice to go there and eat and not have to worry about customers and other stresses! I got one of my all-time favorites, the Good Fortune Wrap. It is seasoned tofu, brown rice, homemade sesame-ginger sauce, carrots, spinach, cabbage, scallions, and sesame seeds all rolled up and toasted in a whole wheat tortilla...how could you say no?? The sesame-ginger sauce makes this a wrap I come back to often!
Good Fortune Wrap

On another note, I think I have perfected my Vegan Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe! woohoo! You should try it out and lemme know what you think...

Vegan Monte Cristo Sandwich (serves 2)
4 slices whole grain bread
4 slices veggie "ham"
2 slices vegan cheeze
2 Tablespoons jam, such as raspberry or blackberry
2 Tablespoons dijon or creole mustard
Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
Bread Batter:
1 cup soymilk
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1 Tbs maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Set our four slices of bread. Spread 1 Tbs jam on two of the slices and 1 Tbs spicy mustard on the other two slices. Place half of a slice of cheeze, broken up or shredded, onto each slice of slathered bread. Place slices of veggie "ham" on top of the cheeze, and top with the other slice of bread (so each sandwich has one jam slice and one mustard slice). In a wide bowl or pie pan, whisk together the batter ingredients until well-combined. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. When pan is hot, dip one sandwich in batter and flip to coat completely. Place battered sandwich in hot pan and cook on both sides until the bread is browned and toasted, and the batter has mostly cooked off...you don't want a soggy sandwich!
Repeat with the second sandwich and serve hot, drizzled with maple syrup and dusted with a little cinnamon or powdered sugar!
Note: If the cheeze doesn't melt with cooking in the skillet, place cooked sandwiches on a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 10 or so minutes until it is more melty!!

This makes a perfect brunch entree!

8 comments:

Bianca said...

Oh yippee! I can't wait to try your Monte Cristo! I just bought groceries for the week, so I may have to wait a week or so. But I have little wish/to do recipe list and I'm writing this on it now!

The Jamaican eats look delicious too! Glad you had a great V-day!

veggievixen said...

yummm.

i tried making empanada dough from a vegan recipe i found online, but i failed. what's your secret?

omg, plaintains!!

J said...

Wow Laura, this all looks fantastic! This is the second post I've seen about people using plantains today, I may just have to try them.

And your peanut and yam empanadas?!?! If you have any leftovers, you know there is someone in CoMo that would be happy to take them off your hands. ;-)

Do you not work at Main Squeeze any more? I walk by there everyday on my way to the bus station after work, I've always wondered if I've seen you and just not know it.

Bianca said...

Hey! Me again! I made your sweet potato butter last night. Oh so goood!
I put a jar in the fridge and canned one for later. I had on toast this morning, and yum yum! I'll blog about later, maybe tonight if I can get a picture of the stuff before the sun goes down.

jb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jb said...

Ooh plantains are my favorite! And your peanut yam empanadas look amazing!

LeAnne said...

That sounds incredible! I think I may have to give this one a try... and SOON!

Sky Farms said...

Your monte cristo recipe is awesome. I made my own tofu "ham" just for this and now I need to make more!