Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Moroccan Tagine

I got this perfect and beautiful local eggplant yesterday to make one of my absolute favorite fall dishes: Moroccan Tagine! I have made this for a few years and I am certain it gets better every time! And since I bought the newest issue of Vegetarian Times recently that happened to feature Moroccan cuisine, I have had it on the brain... I often make this recipe so I can eat it for one meal and have another portion for a leftover dinner the next night, but last night I shared my meal with my friend Anna, who had never had Moroccan food before...so it was a treat for both of us!
I served the tagine over whole wheat couscous and drizzled it with a cucumber raita sauce. This meal is seriously divine...and awesome on a chilly fall night!
Tagine for Two (serves...2!)
1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
1 medium carrot, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 small eggplant, diced...and for God's sake leave the peel on!
1 small sweet potato, diced...also with skin on. come on people.
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup chopped tomato
4 kalamata olives, sliced
1 can garbanzo beans
1 cup chopped greens--I like kale or spinach especially
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 T turmeric powder
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne, or paprika if you're not into heat
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes, until it starts to brown and caramelize. Add in the green pepper, carrot, ginger, and garlic, and saute for 2-3 more minutes. Add in the eggplant, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and spices and cook for 5 more minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice to deglaze the pan (adding a little water if needed), then stir in the garbanzo beans, olives, artichokes, greens, and raisins and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 more minutes, covered. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over fluffy whole wheat couscous and drizzle with Lemon Cucumber Raita sauce (recipe below)!
**I also like to add zucchini, cabbage, or peas sometimes, but this combination is my favorite!
Lemon-Cucumber Raita (Serves 2)
1/4 cup plain soy yogurt
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup cucumber, chopped
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
pinch of salt and pepper
1 clove garlic
Put everything in a blender or food processor and puree together until it has a smooth, creamy consistency. Chill for an hour or so before serving. Serve drizzled over Tagine for Two!

4 comments:

Destiny's Kitchen said...

That looks super tasty and healthy!

J said...

I've never had Morrocan food either. This sounds fantastic, especially since we are really coming around to eggplant. If I get the itch to pick one up from the market this weekend, I will definitely keep this recipe in mind.

Thanks!

J said...

Hey, sorry to come back here and comment twice, but I was wondering if you knew of anywhere that you could get a small (preferably single serving) container of soy yogurt. All I've ever seen are really large tubs of it, and for one, I don't know of many things to use plain soy yogurt in, for two, I don't like it plain at all, and finally, I don't want it to go bad!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love tagine.