Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Alfredooooooooo! I've missed you!

I am in a veeeerry good mood after my dinner tonight! I made Vegan Alfredo Sauce over Local Sweet Potato Pasta, with Sauteed Kale and Homemade Italian Sausages!!! This meal is exciting for a number of reasons!! I think they will make you happy, too!
1) The Italian Sausage is homemade, for my DIY post this week. Homemade sausages are sooooo much better than store-bought, and a whole lot cheaper! I must admit, I do love a Tofurkey Beer Brat or Field Roast Apple-Sage Sausage when I am feeling lazy, but it is realy worth the effort to make my own! Did I mention that it's cheaper?! I used Julie Hasson's famous steamed sausage recipe from the Everyday Dish site. These are so good! I should have made a ton of them and frozen them for later use....maybe next time. 2) I finally got to have Alfredo Sauce! I haven't had any alfredo-type sauce since going vegan, which is about three years now! I know, I know, there are tons of vegan alfredo recipes out there. I just never remembered to make them, really! Soooo, with the help of some PPK'ers, I found Lachesis' Vegan Alfredo recipe on the PPK forums, and it is so wonderful! Another DIY part of this meal...homemade sauces kick the crap out of store-bought sauces. This is a fact. Decadent, yes, but we could all use a little extra fat in our meals now and again! Oh goodness this was so flavorful and creamy and just like I remembered alfredo sauce being in my pregan days! JOY!!!3) I used the local Sweet Potato Pasta from Pappardelle's, a local pasta-maker here in KC. And I loved it! The sweet potato flavor wasn't too strong, but definetely there! Thanks farmer's market! :)4) This was a healthy and complete meal, pretty quick and easy to make, and it tasted amazing...what's not to love?!??!

6 comments:

Chile said...

Drats! I was so excited when I saw this, until I checked the alfredo recipe and it contains tofu. It stinks to be allergic to tofu! Guess I'll stick with the vegan alfredo sauce recipe I use with a white bean base. The texture is not smooth and silky like real alfredo sauce, but it tastes good.

Lisa said...

Mmm...this sounds so creamy and rich! I love the addition of kale.

Rose said...

It looks so tasty! I'm not a huge fan of cream sauces, but I think I need to give Alfredo another chance as a vegan.

Anonymous said...

Wow. The meal you made looks divine. I will have to try the alfredo recipe.

Bianca said...

Wow! I don't even really know what to say about all that goodness! Those sausages keep serious ass (and they do freeze quite well!). And I love, love, love vegan alfredo sauce. And homemade pasta?! Wow!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, this sounds like a perfect meal!