Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Keeping it on the DL...KC Vegan Crawl!!

This past Sunday commemorated something very special and pretty DL...I started an underground restaurant out of my apartment!! I still need a name, but it is every Sunday from 11 am to 8 pm, and I will be serving one big meal and an awesome dessert, all for under $8! I have been working on the concept and details for about 3 months or more, and it was wonderful to see my hard work come to fruition last weekend. It was crazy to open VegNews this month and there was an article about the exact thing I had been planning for months! Vegans be workin' so harrrrrd! Turnout was pretty small, but I am hoping it will get bigger every week. This all relies on word of mouth, people! If you are in Kansas City or the Missouri/Kansas area, come by! Send me a message and I can give you the details.

For the first week, I made one of my absolute FAVORITE meals: BBQ seitan with all the fixin's. BBQ Seitan (with homemade seitan and homemade bbq sauce), Organic Baked Beans, Whole Grain Cornbread, and Sauteed Local Greens with Garlic (and Hot Sauce!). Soooo comforting and delicious!! Everyone loved it, of course!


And for dessert, I made Oatmeal Butterscotch Pecan Cookies! I made a modified version of my recipe I posted a few months ago....and they were even better than I remembered! Perfection.And just to show you how awesome and veg-friendly Kansas City is...my friend, Dane, is also doing a vegan dinner out of his house every Sunday night, currently called "Sustainability Sundays"! His starts after mine, so it is all friendly between us :) His angle is sustainability in growing, purchasing, and preparing foods, all with vegan ethics in mind. So great! I just had to use this blog to give him vegan props!

This week, he made Local Fruit Pasta with Tomato-Peach Marinara, with local Ciabatta Bread. Not pictured was a Spinach and Berry Salad and Strawberry-Apricot Oatmeal Cookies. He uses basically 99% local ingredients, except stuff like some spices and oil, which is just fantastic! Dane even distributes some literature on sustainable living each week! yay!
So last weekend was the first KC Vegan Crawl, with my place open 11-8 and Dane's 8-11. How could you beat that?! So cheap, so local, so vegan, so good! GO KC!!

6 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

This is such a great idea! I wish there were things like that around here!

nora said...

Wow, that's so cool! Congrats. I'm sure attendance will rise with food like that!

Bianca said...

That is soooo cool! I've read that VegNews story and other stories about non-veg underground restaurants and thought, hmmm I'd like to do that. But then I convince myself that it would be too hard. You are awesome! If I was in KC, I would totally eat at your house every Sunday. That BBQ Seitan looks delish, and hurray for butterscotch!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

too bad you live in Los Angeles. I would so be one of your customers.

Anonymous said...

How cool are you!? And man I wish I lived in your area so I could visit! YUM!

Best of luck this weekend!

Courtney

Tera Dactyl said...

i live in kc! i'm so excited that someone is doing something like this. i saw a link to your blog from bryce and i haven't been able to stop reading since. i've been wanting to try someone else's tempeh for a while, because i made some once and it was DISGUSTING, and i'm trying to figure out if it was just me :) i totally want to come down (i'm nowhere near vegan because i looooooove cheese. and salmon. but i have a lot of vegan cookbooks, so that counts!) but... i don't know where your basement is...