Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Local Food Bonanza!!

This week has been a celebration of the last of the summer produce, especially of local summer produce!! The Kansas City Farmers' Market was bursting at the seams this past weekend with all the bounty mid-September has to offer! I was even more excited for the KC Vegan Crawl this past weekend since I got to showcase all the goods...

My Sunday supper club/underground restaurant/get-together meal:
Vegan Krab Cakes, made with local tofu, veggies, and breadcrumbs
Classic Coleslaw made with local cabbage!
Brown Rice and Local Roasted Corn (not pictured)
And for dessert: Local Peach Cobbler!! This was my first time making cobbler, but it certainly won't be my last...it was amazing! Especially warm, topped with some vanilla soy ice cream!Juicy local peaches under a thick pastry crust made with local whole wheat flour, and toasted almonds...what's not to love??My friend, Dane, had his Sustainability Sunday dinner as well. Here's his spread: Wild Rice topped with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and White Beans, Herb-Roasted Potatoes and Butternut Squash, and Radishes & Carrots baked with coconut oil and ginger...with all locally-grown veggies....mmmm...
And last night for dinner, I FINALLY made something I had been craving aaaallllll summer: Fried Green Tomatoes!! The tomatoes came from my momma's garden, of course! They were breaded with a flour-cornmeal-spice mixture and fried until golden brown. These hit the spot! I just had them as a side with dinner, but I am looking forward to making more of these babies and getting creative!
Before I go, a local restaurant review! Last week my friend, Gabi, and I went to the Blue Nile Cafe here in Kansas City. This is an Ethiopian restaurant in the City Market district which has been around for a while, and I can't believe I hadn't made it there before!! About half the menu is vegan...it even says "vegan" on the menu for those items! whaaat?! AMAZING food, great atmosphere, and delightful service--I will definitely be heading back soon. They were out when I went, but they sometimes have vegan cupcakes! I must go for those.

Gabi and I shared the Vegetarian Combination Platter, which gave you a little bit of everything on the vegetarian menu, so we got to try a lot of different items. I can't remember what they all were, but check out their website for details. And they gave us plenty of injera, the Ethiopian flatbread used for dipping/eating; spongy teff bread that is super addictive. Done!! I have only good things to say about the Blue Nile Cafe. If you are in the KC area, check this place out for sure to get great vegan ethnic food!

3 comments:

nora said...

That's so great how everything is local! Way to go :) That cobbler looks heavenly--I've never seen such a thick cobbler crust.

Laura said...

i'm a crust girl, what can i say?! :)

Bianca said...

That peach cobbler needs to get in my mouth! I'm a crust girl too (but not a crusty girl...ick!). The dinner club food looks so fab. I wish I could come! And I love Ethiopian food!