Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rhubarb All Day Long: Big Crumb Rhubarb Coffee Cake!

Because rhubarb is still in season and even breakfast deserves dessert: Big Crumb Rhubarb Coffee Cake!!
I veganized the recipe from the Smitten Kitchen blog, using Earth Balance for the butter, Tofutti for the sour cream, flaxseed for the yolks, and Ener-G Egg Replacer for the egg. It turned out perfectly! The cake itself is buttery and rich, but still light enough, like a good coffee cake should be. The rhubarb, which came from my friend's garden, was delicious!!! Obviously. And the BIG crumbs were simply perfect. Dry in a good way, crumbly, and amazing. I could have eaten the whole pan!!This wonderful coffee cake was preceded by an equally wonderful brunch: my Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches and Herb-Roasted Local Potatoes. The sandwiches were made up of baked tofu "eggs, " my breakfast sausage patties, fresh spinach, melted Daiya cheddar, and a maple cream cheeze spread I whipped up. All on locally-baked multi-grain toast. It was brunch perfection!

2 comments:

Carissa said...

This cake looks amazing! I wish we got fresh rhubarb in Hawaii, but....not so much. I am following your blog now. Check mine out and follow if you like :) elilaiann.blogspot.com

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

That's awesome! I'm all about the crumbly!

I haven't tried rhubarb yet... maybe someday, lol.