Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Healing Power of Good Food...

I have been feeling really sick and really tired over the past week, so I haven't been the most creative in my cooking...luckily, good food can be quick, and make you feel better, too! :)


Two nights ago, I tried a new product that I bought at work (Clover's Natural Food Market):
Tofurkey Beer Brats!!
These are soooooo good! Great flavor and texture, and super satisfying! Try them!






I served the "brats" over a bed of braised cabbage (recipe below) topped with organic sauerkraut and a little organic brown mustard...the German in me really came out that night!


On the side we had potatoes roasted with a little oil, garlic, pepper, and thyme, which were so simple and delicious! And, of course, plenty of red chard to go with it all!!


Simple Braised Cabbage:

1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 small white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp sage powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable broth
splash of Bragg's or tamari
1 tsp oil

Heat saute pan over medium heat with the oil and add the onion. Saute the onion for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cabbage and let the cabbage cook down for about 2-3 minutes. Add the sage and Bragg's and cook for one more minute. Next, add in the veg broth and apple cider vinegar and turn heat to low. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, until the cabbage is soft and the liquid has evaporated. Salt and pepper to taste, then serve....goes great with Tofurkey Beer Brats!!!





The next morning, my class was cancelled (yay!) so I made a real breakfast...while I love cereal, sometimes a girl needs a nice hot breakfast to start her day!






I scrambled some tofu with onions, garlic, green and red peppers, black pepper, and lots of turmeric...classic. delicious. Then we had some home-fry hashbrowns with pepper and paprika for a little spice, and some toasted sunflower seed bread from a local baker named Annie. She knoooooows how to make bread and make me smile. God bless that woman!

More food to come...hopefully I will get to feeling better so I can get more adventurous again!

No comments: