Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Trip to the 'Lou and more...

Whoa! It has been way too long since I posted last...but the past week or so has been crazy busy...you understand!

A few highlights from goodies I have made over the past week.....
Another taco night...this time I made spicy roasted veggies (corn, red peppers, zucchini, shallots, with cumin, cayenne, and coriander) to go with the tacos...and of course, lots of avocado!! Did I mention how goooooood Tofutti Sour Supreme is?

A few nights ago I made what I call the perfect meal....
A bed of quinoa topped with tofu (i saute mine with bragg's and nooch), steamed sweet potatoes, and steamed greens (that night I had chard)... drizzled with miso tahini sauce and garnished with sprouts. I swear this meal is perfect(be not fooled by the crappy photography...I am yet a novice) It cannot be beat!!


One morning this week for breakfast, I made the Blue Corn Pancakes from the Chicago Diner Cookbook (available on their website http://www.veggiediner.com/! Get if for reeeeealll) with some scrambled tofu and wedges of pink grapefruit. I love waking up for good food!

I also made one of my faaaaavorite meals ever (Steve's, too!): BBQ Seitan sandwiches...shown here on some baguette bread from our local bakery, Uprise Bakery. the bomb, ya'll. Being from KC, I have an inborn affinity for all things barbeque, and this is no different! I made some baked oven fries to go with the sandwich. We were covered in BBQ sauce after we were done, but I am not complaining!! When I perfect this recipe, I will post it :)


When I baked for our Lost watching party last week...if you don't watch Lost, you should. It's the only TV show worth rotting your brain for!...I made The PB banana cookie sandwiches created by Bjorkedoff, that freakin' genius! It's the gigantoid PB oatmeal cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance, filled the PB caramel from Veganomicon and slices of bananas. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I am not sure if I will ever be the same. Bjorkedoff, God bless you!


I also bottled up my Kombucha this week! I let it brew for two months instead of one, cuz I like my Kombucha nice and tangy!

Here is the "mother" for this huuuuuuge batch....I got 14 bottles out of it! My body won't know what to do with all these enzymes and such! Yes, it looks absolutely repulsive, but it's soooo yum!

Over the weekend, Steve and I took a day trip to St. Louis. Being from Kansas City, I have not spent much time in the 'Lou, but it was awesome!

We found this mostly veg restaurant called the Shangri La Diner and it was great! Super diner-style, greasy, messy, homestyle cooking...lots of food for cheap, too! We were both impressed! If you are ever in St. Louis, PLEASE check this place out! You can even look at their place online....www.theshangriladiner.com.The owner/chef was so nice, and so were the servers...they even have a sunday brunch with tons of vegan stuff! so cool.
I don't eat a lot of greasy food very often, so my tummy wasn't as happy as my taste buds, but it's all good! Worth it!
Steve had the St. Louis Style "Slinger:" Hashbrowns topped with scrambled tofu, vegan chili, guacamole instead of cheese, and toast. Enormous and so great!


And of course, he got the vegan chocolate malt...sinful.



I had the vegan burger with vegan bbq baked beans and corn on the cob. The burger was frighteningly meat-like, but really tasty. I am not above things that taste like meat, as long as they taste good...but, I probably wouldn't want to eat it everyday. They even had curry ketchup that they made in-house to put on the burger! It was really tasty...


And for dessert, because I always must, I had the vegan espresso pound cake with a lemon glaze and a chocolate ganache. The flavors went together perfectly and it was SO MOIST! yikes!


Overall, a great trip and a great week. I hope to be cooking more this week, but it looks busy... but there will be baking for sure!

No comments: