It's a Vegan MoFo tradition to complete these surveys (aka "memes") to let all the readers out there find out a little bit more about the bloggers they know and love!
This survey has been going around for the past couple days...you should fill it out, too! It's a goodie!
1. Favorite non-dairy milk? Living Harvest Hemp Milk, Original flavor. Thick, creamy, healthy, delicious. I actually buy Silk Organic Unsweetened most regularly, but that's a cost-saving measure.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? Pumpkin Bread with some local pumpkin I bought and roasted; my Vegan Beer Brats with Homemade Sauerkraut; and a new recipe I am working on for Savory Granola. get ready.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? Nooch and Cayenne Pepper. It's just magical.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? I tried to make a lemon-poppyseed cake for a friend's birthday and it was a total disaster. The inside didn't really cook through, it broke apart, and the outside was buuuuurned. I cried, actually.
5. Favorite pickled item? Sauerkraut. Hands down.
6. How do you organize your recipes?Loose recipes? I type them up and save them in a recipe file. It is on my hard drive and my USB stick. I am typing them up because I am working on compiling recipes for a cookbook (!) so I want to keep them nice an organized. For loose recipes, I hole punch them and have them in a biiiig binder.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? Mostly compost. I live in an apartment, so I take my scraps to my mom's house and compost them there. If my container gets too full, then either the trash or I toss some food scraps outside for the animals. Is this wrong??
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)? Avocados; Hummus; Cinnamon Rolls
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? My grandmother owned a diner (totally greasy spoon awesomeness). I remember going to her diner as a little kid and ordering pancakes, and she would make them into shapes like snowmen or mickey mouse, and would use chocolate chips as eyes/noses/buttons/etc. It made me soooo happy!!!
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? It's a tie between Purely Decadent's Caramel Turtle Trails and Temptation's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I truly can't decide!
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? My toaster oven! It can do ANYTHING!
12. Spice/herb you would die without? Cinnamon! I love it for most anything sweet or savory.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? Student's Go Vegan Cookbook. This pretty much was a lifesaver for my first year or two of veganism. It's so good!
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Raspberry! Homemade is the best, of course!
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? BBQ Seitan with Cornbread. They can never believe it's so good and so vegan!
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? Seitan! I love making my own!
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? Breakfast!
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? My box of teas, paper towel holder, my tiffin and lunch box, and some extra silverware I use for my underground restaurant.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Homemade Seitan Sausage Patties; Purely Decadent Vanilla Ice Cream; some local corn that I shucked and froze.
20. What's on your grocery list? organic powdered sugar, greens, lettuce, olive oil, applesauce, purple cabbage, extra firm tofu, oyster mushrooms, and bread
21. Favorite grocery store? Wild Oats because it is right by my house and the people who work there are AWESOME!
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet. My grandma's creamy potato soup that kicks serious butt; basil ice cream; and haggis.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? Vegan Crunk; Get Sconed!; Bjorked Off
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? Green and Black's Mint Chocolate Bar with the creamy filling, but I think they stopped making it vegan. Current favorite, then, would be Chocolove's Dark Chocolate with Crystallized Ginger
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Coffee Beans from one of my favorite Kansas City coffee roasters, the Roasterie. Full Vengeance blend. This is some pretty pricey coffee, but totally worth it!!!
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with? Squash blossoms, because they are so delicate and I don't want to ruin them; spring roll wrappers, because they are so fragile and I know I would rip them and get super frustrated; and habanero peppers, because they are so hot and I'm afraid I would burn my hands/eyes/life.
27. Favorite food cart? There aren't really food carts where I live like there are in places like Portland. But, one of my favorite restaurants, Jerusalem Cafe, has a food cart that goes around sometimes. Aaaaand it is amazing! Falafel and Hummus Sandwich with Tahini Sauce?!?! yes!
I hope you know more about the woman behind the blog now...or at least about my food life! Copy and paste this survey and fill it out with your answers; you might just learn something about yourself!