Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day One of Vegan MoFo!

Happy Vegan Month of Food, everyone!!! For the first day of Vegan MoFo, I will share with you one of Steve and my favorite dinners, which I made for the second time last night: my Jamaican Feast! This Jamaican-themed meal is made up of Jamaican Jerk Seitan (based off of the Jamaican Jerk Temeph from ivu.org), Coconut-Curry Quinoa, Steamed Greens...obviously with plenty of hot sauce, and Pan-Fried Plantains. I think I have perfected my plantain recipe, so I will give it to you to try! I like this version, because it is slightly healthier, and probably easier, than it's deep-fried counterpart! Plus, who doesn't want something a little sweet with their dinner?? I do, I do!

Pan-Fried Plantains (serves 2)
2 large plantains, ripened to where the skin has started to turn black
2 Tbs canola or peanut oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbs agave nectar...or more if you're a sweet tooth like me!
pinch of black pepper

Peel the plantains and cut each one in half horizontally. Then, slice each half in half again, this time lengthwise. Sprinkle both sides of the plantains with the salt and cayenne.
In a large skillet over a medium flame, heat up the oil until it gets really hot, but not smoking! Lay the plantain slices cut-side down and let cook for 5 minutes, until they start to get brown and caramelized. Flip the slices over and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes. The outside should be getting crispy and golden, and the inside should soften up a bit. Remove from the pan and lay on a paper towel to sop up extra oil. Drizzle the agave nectar over the plantains and sprinkle with pepper. Serve hot with the rest of the Jamaican Feast and enjoy!

1 comment:

J said...

I've never had Jamaican food - but this looks really good. I am especially loving the quinoa dish, yummy! I've never had plantains before - I've been told they are a little like a sweet potato. Would this be your assessment?