Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Iron Chef Challenge: Ginger Apple Sp-ice Cream

Hooray for Day 7 of Vegan MoFo! Also, Hooray for Iron Chef Challenges! My take on this week's Vegan Iron Chef Challenge, with the key ingredients being Apples and Ginger is: Ginger Apple Sp-ice Cream! Even though it is October, I still get a craving for some creamy ice cream...fresh from my ice cream maker, of course! I still am up to my eyeballs in the apples we picked, so I thought I'd put them to good use in fixing my craving. This is not quite as creamy and dreamy as your store-bought versions, but c'mon! This is suuuuper tasty, way cheaper, and a good way to use up some yummy local apples!

I really like this autumn-inspired ice cream: filled with apple chunks, crystallized ginger, warming spices, toasted walnuts, and comforting vanilla....I also like that I can make a word play out of its name :) This is especially great served with a garnish of some baked apple slices or, as I played it, a few whole-wheat cinnamon graham crackers! Duuuuuuude!

Ginger Apple Sp-ice Cream (makes about 2 qts)

1 qt oat milk

1 can coconut milk

1 box silken tofu

1 Tbs vanilla extract

1 inch ginger, finely minced

1 Tbs cinnamon

1/2 Tbs ginger powder

1/2 Tbs nutmeg powder

1 tsp cloves

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup maple syrup

2 small apples, diced

1/2 cup crystallized ginger, minced

1 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

In a blender, blend together the oat milk, tofu, coconut milk, vanilla, spices, and sugar. Pour into your ice cream maker and make according to manufacturer's directions. When ice cream is ready, GRADUALLY pour in the chopped apples, ginger, and walnuts into the mix while the machine is still running, and let it run a few minutes until everything is well incorporated. Freeze for a few hours before serving.

I think this would also be REALLY good with some vegan caramel drizzled on top....next time perhaps.

3 comments:

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I'm intrigued. I'm gonna save this recipe.

Anonymous said...

OMG! The perfect ice cream recipe!

J said...

I wish I had an ice cream maker! This looks like a fantastic fall treat! I bet it would be good over some apple pie filling too. Mmmmm. I just can't do pie crust so the filling would have to do.

I love your word play too - so creative.

I am seriously going to go look at the picture of the sp-ice cream again so I can be jealous and hungry!